It’s hard to believe Halloween was just a few weeks ago, and Thanksgiving is nearly upon us — which means the December holidays are just around the corner, too! Boston’s festivities get underway in just a few days. If your kids are amazed by beautiful light shows, and if you all love to partake in holiday strolls, Boston has no shortage of events coming up, all around the city! Here’s a roundup of some fun family holiday events in Boston from now through the end of December!
Saturday, November 19
- Faneuil Hall Tree Lighting Spectacular and Kickoff to Blink! Light Show :: Featuring the kickoff to the beautiful Blink! light show, which will be a mainstay in Faneuil Hall through Jan. 1, this event features live entertainment beginning in the afternoon, complete with the rehearsal for the actual tree lighting in case the actual lighting at 7 p.m. is too late to stay out.
- Interactive Readings: Stories Alive Featuring Frosty the Snowman! :: Join beloved wintertime character Frosty the Snowman at this interactive story time. The free event begins at 1:30 p.m. at the Ghiradelli Ice Cream & Chocolate Shop in Faneuil Hall.
Monday, November 21
- 14th Annual Holiday Lighting of the North End Trellis :: When Christopher Columbus Park’s 260 feet of trellis is illuminated, so too are 14 decorated trees in this area, transforming the waterfront park into a festive wonderland. The lighting takes place at 5 p.m. at 110 Atlantic Avenue.
Saturday, November 26
- Harvard Square Tree Lighting :: The Charles Hotel kicks off the holiday season around 4 p.m., as children are invited to help decorate the trees with ornaments and bow ties. Santa Claus’ jazz band will perform at 5 p.m., with the tree lighting and a visit from Santa at 5:30 p.m.
Monday, November 28
- Copley Square Tree Lighting :: From 5-6 p.m., this event will include performances by the Boston Children’s Chorus and a variety of other talented musicians. When the tree is illuminated, the Old South Church bell will toll.
Thursday, December 1
- 75th Annual Boston Common Tree Lighting and Skating Spectacular :: Appearances by Mayor Walsh, Santa Claus, and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police are some of the fun events planned for this tradition, which will close with a pyrotechnic display by Atlas Pro.
Friday, December 2
- 10th Annual North End Holiday Shopping Stroll :: The 10th annual North End holiday shopping stroll runs from 6-11 p.m. and gives the community a chance to celebrate the arrival of the holiday season. Shoppers will have the chance to explore the narrow streets, trendy boutiques, wine stores, and specialty shops of Boston’s little Italy.
Saturday, December 10, and Sunday, December 11
- 13th Annual SoWa Holiday Market :: Featuring the best of New England artisans, this holiday market in the center of Boston provides an excellent opportunity to shop for holiday gifts. Loacted at 41 Berkeley St. in Boston, the event runs from 11 a.m.–6 p.m. on Saturday and 11 a.m–5 p.m. on Sunday. Admission is $5, and children under 12 are free.
Wednesday, December 14
- Hanukkah: The Festival of Lights :: Enjoy holiday-themed performances, special dance performances, craft projects, and stories for the whole family at this third annual event organized by the Jewish Arts Collaborative. This free event takes place from 5–10 p.m. at the Museum of Fine Arts.
Friday, December 16
- Fort Point Holiday Stroll :: From 4-8 p.m., walk through the historic neighborhood, nibble on sweet and savory treats from restaurants and bars, explore galleries and artist studios, and shop in boutiques steeped in local flavor.