My life (like the lives of all moms) is hectic. We are running to and from activities, playdates, doctor’s appointments, and generally living our lives to the fullest. So I’m here to raise my hand in shame and admit that, yes, I default to easy (read: not-so-nutritious meals) more than I might like. We always have a vegetable, which my kids typically eat. That counts for something, right?
Now that my kids are finally getting more interested in helping in the kitchen, I’m trying to make weeknight meals as fun as they are on weekends (I’m notorious for throwing together a multi-course, ethnic meal with leftovers that last a week). I don’t cook separate meals for different family members, so I want to make something we can all enjoy. Sometimes this means getting creative and thinking a little bit outside the box. And almost always it means minimal pots and pans so there’s less to clean up!
Like most families, we do a lot of simple, easily customizable things like taco night. This is always quick and fun, and we can make it different every time if we like! We were enticed by the $10 savings off a purchase of $30 or more at Shaw’s and stocked up on some Unilever products hoping to make our lives a little easier. I grabbed some Hellmann’s and Lipton to have on hand (I’m thinking summer salads and cold iced tea) and some rice to try out a new spin on tacos!
As often happens, the best laid plans fell apart (as did our taco shells). So I made the best of the situation, and we had nachos instead! The recipe calls for beef, but with summer around the corner I opted for leaner ground chicken instead! Enjoy!
- 2 Tbsp. I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!® Spread, divided
- 1 lb. lean ground chicken
- 1 green bell pepper or red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 package Knorr® Fiesta Sides™ - Spanish Rice
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- Tortilla chips
- Optional toppings: cheese, guacamole, sour cream, etc!
- MELT 1 tablespoon Spread in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and brown ground chicken, seasoned with salt and pepper, if desired; remove and set aside.
- MELT remaining 1 tablespoon Spread in same skillet over medium-high heat and cook peppers and onions, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in water, Knorr® Fiesta Sides™ - Spanish Rice and tomato and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 7 minutes or until rice is tender.
- STIR in chicken; heat through. Serve on a big plate of tortillas, family style. Top, if desired, with your favorite taco toppings such as sour cream, chopped red onion, and shredded lettuce.